NNAS Bronze Award
Time & Location
About the Event
This 2 day navigation course will give you all the skills and tools to be able to navigate safely outside. We will cover all parts to the Bronze National Navigation Award so at the end of the 2 days, you will recieve your official certifiacte of completion.
This is a group event and may include up to 5 people.
Day 1 we will mostly be covering the theory based learning and will involve some time outside walking too!
Day 2 we will cover a full day out of the hills and doing some physical navigation techniques where you will have the chance to put all of your learning into practise!
The Bronze NNAS syllabus includes:
- Navigate using a variety of maps and scales.
- Use 4 and 6 figure grid references with worded descriptions to define the position of a map feature and to locate a feature on the ground.
- Orientate the map using handrails, obvious point features and major landforms.
- Use linear features (e.g. paths, tracks, clear boundaries) as handrails in simple navigation exercises.
- Relate prominent landforms such as large hills and valleys to corresponding contour information on the map.
- Orientate the map by aligning a compass needle against grid north and be aware that magnetic variation causes an inaccuracy.
- Use an orientated map to confirm the direction of travel.
- Use clearly identifiable features to confirm position along the route and to recognise when the target has been overshot.
- Measure horizontal distance on the map and estimate distance on the ground using timing, pacing and simple visual judgements e.g.100m.
- Plan and implement simple routes and navigation strategies based on the above skills.
- Recognise a navigation error within a few minutes and apply simple relocation techniques using handrails and prominent features.
- Demonstrate an awareness of local and national access issues, access legislation, personal responsibilities and the Countryside Code.
- Demonstrate appropriate knowledge of walking equipment, safety equipment and emergency procedures.
You can find information on the NNAS awards HERE
Once you have booked your place, you will recieve a confirmation email with a ticket attached. Please bring this with you on the day.
You will also recieve all the event details via email- this includes a kit list, full itinerary for each day and meeting points/times.
- NNAS Bronze Award - August£100+£2.50 Service fee£100+£2.50 Service fee0£0